Monday, January 30, 2006

Racial differences in earwax?

BBC News:

Whether your earwax is wet or dry is determined by a mutation in a single gene, scientists have discovered.

An international team of researchers studied the genes of people from 33 populations across the world.

They found ethnicity affects which form of the gene people have, and therefore their earwax type.

And in Nature Genetics, they raised the unlikely possibility that earwax type could be linked to attractiveness, due to a link with body odour glands.

Earwax is secreted by the ceruminous apocrine glands.

Dry earwax is seen in up to 95% of East Asians, but no more than 3% of people of European and African origin.

In both Europeans and Africans, the wet type completely dominates.

Earwax type determined by single letter of DNA

Those pesky race-related genes again

Ancient mystery solved - dry earwax boosts sex appeal

Genetic link found for gooey earwax

Japanese Scientists Identify Ear Wax Gene

Dry earwax? It's genetic

2 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Dry earwax is seen in...no more than 3% of people of European...origin."

I guess I qualify as being of "European origin", and I have wet earway. At least as of the last time I had occasion to notice.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger T1010 said...

I have dry earwax. I can map my ancestors back to the 1400’s, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English, Danish, Norwegian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats