Thursday, January 18, 2007

Why are Asians in Britain turning to drugs?

Sangita Myska:

Second and third generation British Asians are using class A drugs more than ever before, according to a new report.

But who exactly is using and why?

I met Naz, a 26-year-old professional British Bangladeshi in a swanky central London bar.

He started using hard drugs as a teenager - cocaine and ecstasy being his drugs of choice.

But damage to his liver and kidneys means he has been forced to stop.

Another score and he could be dead.

"Just water for me please," he says as we ordered our drinks.

Naz says his drug use is a consequence of British club culture. His ethnicity, he says, has nothing to do with it.

"I don't think it's about race - it's about society as a whole," he said.

"I took drugs because I enjoyed it. Wanted the experience. Drugs are easy to come by and cheap.

"As I say, last week I went out with my brothers and sisters. They took drugs and I couldn't.

"I went home early. I suppose life is more boring but I guess it'll turn out for the best."

Naz's experience is common. British Asian use of hard drugs is catching up with the rest of Britain according to research conducted by the University of Central Lancashire for the NHS.

Nearly a third of those surveyed said they had used an illegal substance. And just over 16% said they'd tried a class A drug.

Why I had to leave Luton

Heroin: The Golden Sword of Jihad conquering Britain

1 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. "...professional British Bangledeshi." That's about the size of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats