Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Britain: A Muslim convert al-Qaeda activist who planned atrocities including a dirty bomb attack has had his sentence cut

BBC News:

Dhiren Barot

Dhiren Barot, 34, had been jailed for a minimum of 40 years after admitting to conspiracy to murder.

But this was reduced to 30 years by three Court of Appeal judges headed by the Lord Chief Justice Lord Phillips.

They said the 40-year term was for "the terrorist who has been convicted, after trial, of a serious attempt to commit mass murder by a viable method".

Lord Philips said that Muslim convert Barot's conspiracy did not amount to an actual attempt, and it was unclear whether his plots would have succeeded and what the consequences of them would have been.

Barot was jailed for a minimum of 40 years by Mr Justice Butterfield at Woolwich Crown Court last November.

He admitted planning attacks in the UK and the US.

The court heard that Barot planned terror acts including limousines packed with explosives and a radioactive "dirty bomb".

Police, business leaders say financial sector unprepared for terror attack

Trans-Atlantic bomb plotter has jail term cut

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


View My Stats