Friday, June 03, 2005

We were = we’re?

Bryanna Bevens:

Several years ago I participated, along with other California State Assembly staffers and members, in a literacy promotion program for elementary students in the California public school system.

I visited a second-grade classroom in Fresno. Before I sat down to read a book to the kiddies, I took the abbreviated tour of the facilities.

A chart on the wall demonstrated the proper use of contractions:

You are = you’re

I am = I’m

We were = we’re


I looked quizzically at the teacher and asked "You sure about this last one? Shouldn’t it read we are?"

Speaking with an exceptionally strong Mexican accent, the teacher assured me that I was wrong: "Oh no, it’s we were."

I know I have an inane tendency to fixate on minutiae. But come on.

"Not to be a pain, but I am positive it’s we are" I said.

Then she said (and I really wish I was making this up) "I’ve been teaching English for four years now—I think I understand the use of compound words."

Whoa…pump the brakes, turbo! Compound words? Teaching English?

"English…you sure about that?" I asked. Not sensing my sarcasm, she nodded.

I took a moment to make a note to self: My future children will not attend public school even if I have to sell my blood or a kidney to afford private education.

Side note: I have since changed my mind, but more on that in another column.

As it turned out, she was an English as a Second Language [ESL] teacher. This grammar school had such a large number of non-English speaking students that ESL teachers worked in regular classrooms as opposed to those designated for "special education."

Here’s my question: Are we lowering the quality of education for English-speaking students by hiring teachers primarily for their ability to teach Spanish…as opposed to their ability to teach period?

Look at the Bush Administration’s No Child Left Behind Act, passed in January 2002.

By 2014, NCLB standards will supposedly close the learning gap between minority groups and their peers—and achieve comparable test scores in math, science, reading and language.

The unmentionable danger: schools will dumb down the real education of native-born English speaking students, who are more likely to pass the standardized tests, and focus their efforts on minority and non-English speaking students so they won’t seem so "behind" in their testing.

Pentagon worried about Hispanic education trends

Study on Special Education Finds Low Graduation Rate

English-only Testing Under Fire in California

10 school districts cite No Child law in suit - They say requiring English-only tests defies federal rules

2 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger teamsiems said...

Speaking from the great [Hispanic] State of Tejas - I mean Texas - birthplace of NCLB - I couldn't (a contraction for could not) agree with you more: the edu-gap will be closed by lowering standards for English and language skills because Texas has [a] new majority.

I fear we're (a contraction for we are) not alone. More and more states are losing their grip on English as a primary language to those who speak it as a secondary language.

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How else can they close the gap when every year we continue to add more and more third-world immigrants to the system? Even if we could with the wave of a magic wand bring every student now below level up to par, every day brings in new immigrants with new problems.

It is very frustrating to hear the same open borders crew moan about this problem - think Bill Gates. American students overall are behind when compared to a lot of nations because most nations do not have our "y'all come" immigration system nor do they even attempt to educate all citizens.

What we are producing here in the US is a tiered system where those who can afford private schools or expensive homes in good school districts that don't have these problems get an excellent education and everybody else, which is most of us, doesn't. My husband, recently retired, taught college chemistry for years and he said that the really good students that he got over the last 10 years or so were the best he's ever seen. Unfortunately a lot of the rest come to the university unprepared to do college level work. This I am convinced is a function of the tiered system.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats