Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Britain: An Iraqi Kurd asylum seeker who assaulted a female student in Swansea has been jailed for five months

Terry Crockford:

The 21-year-old Iraqi Kurd was convicted at the close of a trial before city magistrates a month ago.

Sentence had been adjourned for an all-options report from the probation service. He has now been imprisoned.

The court had heard how Mohammed Hamadamin had attacked Alice Underhill in Nicholl Street in the city centre on September 16.

She told the magistrates how a man approached her from behind as she walked home from a nightclub at 3.45am.

Hamadamin offered her a lift home and when she declined he got into a Vauxhall Astra.

He drove the car alongside her and again offered her a lift before stopping the car further up the road and standing in front of her.

"He asked me again to get in the car and was a lot more aggressive this time," Miss Underhill told the court.

"The more I said no, he wouldn't leave me pass, so I came into contact with him and pushed him away.

"He gripped my arm. I managed to get loose and tried to get away."

He then began shouting obscenities at her, she said.

She added: "I felt quite violated, quite shaken up.''

Witness Gineen Hayward saw Hamadamin pushing Miss Underhill after blocking her path.

She later picked him out at an identity parade.

Hamadamin, of Nicholl Street, was jailed for the assault and magistrates imposed a one-month prison term, to be served concurrently, for an offence of driving while disqualified, which the defendant admitted.

He also pleaded guilty to driving without insurance, for which he was given no separate penalty.

Miss Underhill added: "It certainly made me think twice about walking the street on my own, whether it is day or night.''

ASYLUM SEEKER FOUND GUILTY OF STREET ASSAULT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats