Monday, June 18, 2007

A court in India has suspended the extradition of a man wanted for trial in Britain over the rape and murder of teenager Hannah Foster

BBC News:

Hannah Foster's body was found on the outskirts of Southampton in 2003. British police have issued a warrant for the arrest of Maninder Pal Singh Kohli (right)

Monday's ruling in the Delhi High Court came after lawyers for Maninder Pal Singh Kohli challenged a lower court's verdict recommending extradition.

Hannah Foster, 17, was murdered after a night out in Southampton in 2003.

Mr Kohli, 39, who says he is innocent, left the UK two days after the killing but was arrested in India in July 2004.

He has challenged the validity of the extradition order, which was granted 10 days ago, on the grounds there was no direct evidence connecting him to the crime.

Mr Kohli's lawyer, Charanjeet Singh Bakshi, said: "The other evidence used to link him with the murder - DNA samples and the route taken by him to flee Britain - have not been satisfactorily explained."

The extradition process has involved more than 100 court appearances.

Hannah's parents, Trevor and Hilary, have travelled to India three times to appeal for Mr Kohli's extradition.

They said they were "delighted" when an extradition order was granted earlier this month.

On Monday, the High Court also issued a notice to the Indian government seeking its views on Mr Kohli's appeal.

The next hearing will take place on 6 July.

Hannah was abducted near her home in Portswood on 14 March, 2003.

Her body was found two days later and a post-mortem examination revealed she had been raped and strangled.

Mr Kohli, who worked as a driver in Britain, left the country for India after he was identified as the prime suspect.

He was arrested in the eastern state of West Bengal, near the border with Nepal, more than a year later.

Murdered teenager's parents 'frustrated' by extradition delay of Indian suspect


At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Kohli, 39, who says he is innocent, left the UK two days after the killing but was arrested in India in July 2004.

I guess that was just a coincidence.

At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Mark said...

It looks like this family will never be able to get justice for their poor daughter.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

View My Stats